Thursday 18 June 2009

"I stuff all my money in my mattress." Popjustice interview

Sarah Cracknell discusses secret collaborations and her security deficient savings scheme...

Sarah Cracknell
of Saint Etienne fame has sung over the music from the Lloyds Bank advert and, with a bit of help from a man called Mark Brown, is releasing it as a single, 'The Journey Continues', on February 4. Or maybe he made the song and then roped her in to do the warbling at a later stage. It's not clear.

The single's alright and everything but to be honest we were more interested with what else she might have in the pipeline when we spoke to her recently...


Hello, Sarah Cracknell. Are you working with Richard X on a huge pop comeback?
Where did you hear that? It's meant to be a big secret – or so I'm told. Who knows if we are planning a pop comeback, heaven only knows.

What impresses you right now about modern pop music?
Things are definitely on the up, there was a phase where everyone was so disinterested in what was going on in pop music but that has changed. There's a real thing about female singers with interesting voices going on and I really like Duffy. I like what she's got going on – maybe it's a blonde 60s kitsch thing...

Do you think you will ever record another big gay disco anthem along the lines of 'He's On The Phone' or 'Sylvie' again?
I am sure that will happen. We've got such a loyal fanbase in the gay community and they're always really fun when we do gigs. They're the ones who bother to get up, dance and have a good time.

Might there be some reswizzling of older tunes on the horizon?
I was thinking about this the other day, and there is a track that could benefit from a certain something but mainly because it never came out properly. It's a track called 'Burnt Out Car' which we recorded with Brian Higgins of Xenomania fame. It's just really good and should have been a single and given more of a chance in life.

What plans do you have for the rest of the year?
Saint Etienne have a best of album coming out...

ANOTHER ONE?
Another, yes, we're just picking up where we left off and then re-issuing and re-packaging - which is the really exciting part - our back catalogue with proper albums and a second CD of b-sides and other bits and bobs – not to mention the unmentionable collaboration.

Who do you bank with?
Use a bank? I'd rather die!

You can't say that, you're a cog in the Lloyds corporate wheel.
I am NOT a cog in the Lloyds corporate wheel, I've never even spoken to anyone from Lloyds bank. I am nothing to do with them at all, I think they're just very pleased and see the single as a free advert.

So what do you look for in a bank? Are you a saver or a borrower?
I don't use any bank. I stuff all my money in my mattress.

Let's hope there aren't any robbers reading. Thank you very much, Sarah Cracknell.

No comments:

Post a Comment